Our story begins In the 1660’s

when Table Bay’s shoreline was just 700m away near the first Dutch mud fort on the Grand Parade, from where Nelson Mandela addressed our nation in 1991. Hippo wallowed in a swamp now called Church Square. Khoi herders pastured livestock in today’s Mostert Street. A mountain stream, still flowing under the hotel, watered the Company Gardens and drove a flour mill on this spot. Opened in 1973 by François Petousis, the Hotel has since been substantially rebuilt. The murals of ceramic artist, Esias Bosch on our staircase, give an idea of the style of the original hotel. For Cape Town information go to "play".